Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shamrocker day one

Well July 6th and I was off to the Shamrocker tour. I cabbed downtown to the Kinley house hostel for 8:30am. This after a night of throwing up and being sick the other way too (I know, too much info, but I must impress upon you how ill I was). I considered cancelling my north tour due to this nasty spell of illness, but really had nowhere to stay if I didn't go. By the way, this Murf (the weeuns called him smurf).




Turns out I just felt like I would throw up all day but I didn't actually throw up. The bus ride was bouncy and I had to focus on not being sick. But we made our way up north, towards Eniskillin. It was rainy that day and I ran to the phone booth to wait it out. After ten minutes, I went to the place to change my money over to Pounds instead of Euros (the north is part of the British Isles) and I am pretty sure I got ripped off but anyway.




We boarded the bus again and the tour guide had us all inroduce ourselves and say something intersting, I chose to tell a discolorful joke about a priest that I had heard the week before, on the Safari (tanks Martina!) I shan't put the joke here, but if you are curious, you can ask me sometime, it is quite funny.




We stopped at Trim Castle, very pretty, and wandered around on our own. I took lots o photos!




I believe this was in the city of Antrim.
After, we road the bus to Loughcrew cairns, which is an old burial site above ground in a small little hut like structure on the side of the mountain. This picture is me just following the guides bum into the wee tiny place, only big enough for about nine of us to go, sans backpacks. ( I was still feeling quite sick!) The carvings on this stone illustrated the importance of the sun and how i moved as the sun shone in the tomb. As the day grew older, the sun moved down and to the right, you can see the picture of the sun in three spots, which signifies where it was at a certain time of day.








It is after the cairns that we went to Eniskillin where it rained. Then we went to Derry where we took a walking tour of the walled city of Derry. The wall is beautiful and fully surrounds the inner city. You can see many murals on house walls depicting "the troubles" as they are called. The troubles are the war times. Bloody Sunday happened in Derry and there is a mural all about that too. One of these pictures is one of the I think four gates enclosing the city of Derry.






















No comments:

Post a Comment