Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fjord




























































































Well, yes, Tuesday we headed off on the ferry to Inish Bofin, an island off the west coast beside Inish Shark (we were not able to land here, boo hoo). Inish Bofin is a reeely nice island of about 200 people. We arrived on the ferry and walked up to our wee little hotel. It was a 15 minute walk, our luggage was transported for us because the island is a constand up and down walk. Checked in, and washed my muddy jeans from the hike along the Fjord. Actually, let me back up. We woke up Tuesday and drove to the tip of the only Fjord in Ireland and walked almost the whole way to Leenane (pronounced leenaaan). The walk was pretty and wet and muddy. My feet were akin to the historical trench foot syndrome in WW2 I think, only maybe not as bad.


We stopped to eat our picnic on the edge of the Fjord which was chanpagne (but Nevil, the Annoying Jehovah's Witness would say it is not really champagne because it was not made in France, so it is just a bubbly drink.............Nevel the Annoying Jehovahs Witness was great at correcting anyone and everyone about what he considered important). My pants were muddy up to my knees, shoes soaked and Dang! i needed to pee. Anyway, smoked salmon served in the left hand, with squeezed lemon juice on it was appetizer, then we ate sandwiches, and chocolate bar, yogurt and fresh berries for dessert. This was a full course meal served to us by Brian and Jerry (who I have since told that they need to start making their own brand of ice cream because of their catchy name. ) Everyone was christening the fern growth with half a days body emissions and i decided to wait until we started walking again to find some fresh ferns to relieve myself into. I handed my camera bag to the nice Auzzie Man Sr. to hold while i ran for the bushes and he walked on ahead of me, even offered me a tissue! how luxurious. I found it is great to do this on an small incline so as to not "wet my shoes" as Brian would say. i nearly fell over laughing when he said he had to go wet his shoes...........meaning pee. Anyway, we continued walking, I fell down on my bum in the ferns just a couple of feet from the edge of the cliff.


After this beautiful walk, during which I made fast friends with the Auzzies, both sr and jr we were picked up in the large van thingy and taken to the ferry where we crossed over to Inish Bofin.


Story picks up again at Bofin (inish means Island by the way). We settled in, I washed my jeans, underwear, socks, shirts and hung stuff up to dry all over the bathroom. We gathered for supper and Brian played and sang with his guitar and then coaxed me to go fetch my uke and play for everyone. I played a couple songs and then I asked Brian to take me to meet some locals. We walked up to the next (and I assume only other) pub up the road (only road) where I met Leo. I think he is a hundred or something and missing most his teeth, but he has lived on the Island all his life and will likely die there too. I took his picture and showed it to him and he told me I would make a million dollars with that picture. if you go to Inish Bofin, you MUSt go see Leo.


I also met Veronica, Paula and Hannah, had great craic with them too.


We walked back to the hotel and i took some great shots of the moon setting and then we gathered outside the hotel to watch people smoke and drink alcoholic beverages. I didn't buy any drinks for myself, people just kept asking and when I would say no thanks, they would go get me something anyway. That night, I had a bit too much and fell into bed for the night around midnight.


Seriously, this is a great trip so far and everyone looking for a good hiking trek around some unique places in ireland should take this Connemara Safari.


pictures: my hotel suite in Abbeyglen, Ellen and Brian, Fjord, everyones boots, me walking along the edge, wild foxglove and a shed, the Auzzies, road, evening view from Inish Bofin (not a lighthouse, actually but it looks like it), Brian and guy with eyes closed and dimpled cheeks, and LEO, the man! and man in car, i liked his energy., the three ladies victoria, paula, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment